Wednesday 22 September 2010

Super spuds

A few weeks ago we checked on the first of our own potatoes. Tasty as they were, I thought we should give them a few more weeks to grow, since I hadn't got round to planting them until the beginning of June.

Since mince was on the cards for tonight's dinner it seemed the ideal time to try them again. What goes better with mince than freshly dug tatties?

I was living the dream really, because I also had some home-grown carrots in the mince (along with a handful or two of frozen peas) and a home-grown funny shaped, little yellow squash too. I would have had a courgette in it too. There was only one on the plant, and I've been watching it grow slowly over the last few weeks, then when I went out today it had been munched by the pesky squirrels!!



Little Alasdair got the tiny little tatties.

Now I bet you're all wondering why there is a US flag on the table beside him. 

Hmmm, I wish I could answer that! It was just one of the random things he picked up to play with before dinner, and ended up bringing it to the table with him. I didn't notice it until I took the photo!

And this then leads to the question, why do we patriotic Scots have a US flag in our toy box? 

Hmmm, I wish I could answer that one too! I think the flag came from my husband's trip to the National Prayer Breakfast in Washington DC, January 2005. 

Anyway, I think all this is side-tracking us from the real point of today's post.............


........................my potatoes.



Gaelic word(s) of the day:
bratach (pronounced exactly as it looks for once!) - flag
Na Stàitean Aonaichte (na Stat-chen In-yach-che) - The United States

The underlined ch's sound as in chin, chip etc.

5 comments:

  1. Those tatties look good, isn't it satisfying to eat from your own garden? I think it is wonderful that your husband got to go the the National Prayer Breakfast in D.C., especially while President Bush was still in office.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay for home grown potatoes!! I wish I would have grown more. Yours look great! Loved the little sidetrack about the flag. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yummy taters Chirsteen!!
    I laughed because my little lad has been playing with a little US flag today LOL! I also just love seeing little Alasdair's chunky little fingers eating his taters!!! SO CUTE!!

    ~Marie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my goodness Kirsteen,
    So sorry about misspelling your lovely name above. My hands type faster then my blond headed brain.

    LOVE
    ~Marie

    ReplyDelete

I love reading everyone's comments, so thank-you for taking the time to leave them! I try and respond to them here too, so do check back later on.