Saturday 25 September 2010

Butteries

 In my last post I mentioned that my husband was home for the weekend a day early, and also that he brought butteries with him. 

My non-Scottish readers probably have no idea what a buttery is, so I thought I'd do a quick post explaining them. Only I wasn't too sure how to describe them! 

I asked my hubby how he would describe them. I suggested that I would say they were 'kind of like a round, flat croissant but saltier.' He agreed but said that the texture isn't as light as a croissant. I'm afraid that's the best we can come up with! So here are a couple of pictures.




I love mine with the butter all melted in. My hubby and James prefer a bit of jam on top too.


Butteries are a breakfast food, kind of like a croissant, like I said, and you warm them slightly in the toaster before eating. You need a nice strong cup of breakfast tea with them.

They are associated with the North East of Scotland, where my husband is now working, and are quite hard to find in other parts of the country, although some larger supermarkets do have them. You can't beat the locally bought ones though!


And before I go, here is my latest crochet project, (complete with cute little sleeping baby foot):

I like to keep you all guessing as to what I'm making!


Gaelic word of the day:
bracaist (brac-osht) - breakfast


Have a blessed Sunday everyone.




7 comments:

  1. The Butteries sound delicious! One day (if I am blessed to travel to your country) I would love the chance to try one! Your cozy fire, crochet project and sleeping little babe is enchanting. So cozy! I loved the Gaelic word for today. I think I pronounced it pretty well ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Again, I must agree with what Elizabeth said. I love hearing about, reading about and trying different foods. And I also love your cozy fire, precious baby and crochet project. I was looking at some crochet teddy bear patterns in the craft and material store yesterday, and was thinking of you. I have been in the middle of several sewing and art projects, but am yearning to begin crocheting a teddy bear or even a tea cozy, because I am inspired by yours. I thought I could begin one and work on it when I am in the car and hubby is driving, or when I am relaxing. But as of yet, I haven't begun it. Thanks for the inspiration.
    Much Love,
    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks DIVINE!! LOL- I LOVE that you have a Gaelic word of the day! SO amazing! My husband is Irish American- born in America, but his grandparents are Irish. We would LOVE to visit Ireland and Scotland someday- they seem so beautiful and green. Thanks for sharing! I am now following from bloggy moms and would LOVE for you to visit my blogs at www.thegossamerjewelbox.blogspot.com (A blog of fiction about fairies and stories) and www.becauseidontscrapbook.blogspot.com - a blog about my daily life as a SAHM.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How do you find time to crochet with a little baby around? I find it hard to sew ever since I had baby number4 (who is now 2 1/2).
    The bread looks so yummy- I love that type of thing for breakfast in the morning, but with strong coffee. :)

    You asked on my blog- it gets dark about 8:00 pm where I am too right now, but will get darker around 4:30 or 5:00 pm in the winter. Very much like where you live.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The butteries sound good! I wish I could try one. When you mentioned them in your other post, I thought maybe they were butter cookies. I wasn't sure. ;) Your new crochet project looks lovely. Love the baby foot. ;) I just started learning to knit. Hope I can get good at it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm impressed you're learning to knit Tea, I just can't seem to get my head around knitting! Crochet is a bit quicker to do too.

    Denise, a lot of the time I crochet with the baby on my knee too. I'm still nursing him so it's not too tricky to crochet once he has stopped squiggling about!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Pam, I'm glad you're feeling inspired to pick up the crochet hook! Teddies are quite easy compared to squares because you work in a round and don't need to worry too much about neat edges!

    ReplyDelete

I love reading everyone's comments, so thank-you for taking the time to leave them! I try and respond to them here too, so do check back later on.