Thursday 30 September 2010

Recipe of the Week - Magic Chocolate Pudding


Magic Chocolate Pudding is one of the most requested puddings in this house. The boys not only like to eat this one, but to watch it being made and see the 'magic' part of it.

It is a self-saucing pudding, which means that you pour the sauce mixture on top of the uncooked cake mixture, while your family think you have lost your marbles! As the cake cooks, the sauce sinks down to the bottom, helping to keep the cake moist, and also leaving you with a lovely chocolate sauce at the bottom. 

for the pudding:
4oz dairy-free margarine
4oz sugar
4oz Dove's Farm Wheat-Free Self Raising Flour
2 eggs
2tbsp cocoa powder

for the sauce:
300ml boiling water
4oz brown sugar
another 2tbsp cocoa powder

-Put all of the pudding ingredients into a bowl and beat well with a mixer until really smooth and creamy. 
-Spread into a pudding dish. It doesn't look like an awful lot of mixture at first, don't worry!
-In a jug, dissolve the brown sugar and cocoa in the boiling water.
-Pour this, slowly, over the pudding mixture.
-Bake for about 25-30 minutes at 180C. The pudding will have come away from the edges of the dish when it is ready, and you will see the sauce bubbling up the sides.


I like my chocolate puddings without cream, but I know others prefer cream or ice cream with it.



As a little footnote, one variation of this pudding that I love is, add about 150g of raspberries to the pudding mixture once it has been beaten together. Pour on the sauce as normal. The raspberries melt into a lovely jammy-ness. My husband isn't such a big fan of puddings that are all chocolate but he loves this with the raspberries in it.


7 comments:

  1. Yum - I make one similar! Loving your jug!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow does that look like a chocolate lover's dream. There is a restaurant here that serves something similar and its called "Death by Chocolate" LOL. I like the idea of the raspberries in it too...an elegant flavor addition. I think I will try this as soon as we have a little company. If I were to make this just for us here at home, guess who would eat most of it... you guessed it me... I am the chocoholic of the family; (well, me and the girls, and as none of them are here to help me eat..well again, there is the problem). I like your Domestic Bliss post. There is something nice about seeing a pile turn into a nice tidy stack. Hope the banana muffins turned out good.
    Much Love,
    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am trying to eat healthy!! You must stop posting all these yummy looking goodies! lol :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE the chocolate pitcher. FUN! This looks absolutley delish, you have my mouth watering for some chocolate.

    Dawn
    http://www.mom-a-logues.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Okay, I came back over to double check, and see if you wanted to be a part of the "Great Apron Swap",
    and as I did, I looked at that cake and said to myself..."I think I have all the ingredients to make it
    maybe I will just make it and who cares if I am the one who eats most of it? Ha". I will let you know what happens. Well, as I was saying, I wasn't completely sure if you wanted to be a part of the swap, and I am pairing up the names now... no hurry though. If you want to do it, I'll need your e-mail. I realize it is probably bedtime there in Scottland about now, and tomorrow is church, but just let me know when you can.
    Much love,
    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  6. I tried this out tonight, and it went down great!! Everyone loved it! Thanks for sharing x

    ReplyDelete

I love reading everyone's comments, so thank-you for taking the time to leave them! I try and respond to them here too, so do check back later on.