Saturday 18 September 2010

Barbecue Fun

I am pleased to report that I survived the first week without my husband. Well, it was hardly a week, he left to start his new job up north on Monday morning and came home Friday lunchtime. The week didn't seem too long. There is always plenty to keep busy with in this house! Still, I am delighted to have him back home again. 

Yesterday afternoon we had a farewell barbecue at the house here with his old work team. I never did an actual head count but I put 25 plates out and they were all used. Some people brought their wives and children, so the boys had some friends to play with too.  Even little Alasdair had a friend his own age!

On Thursday afternoon while Calum made the yoghurt loaf in the post below, I was busy doing lots of baking for the barbecue. Then once the younger boys were asleep on Thursday night, and I was about to set all the cakes out nicely on the table, James asked if he could help me. I was only to pleased to accept his offer of help, even though it meant him staying up later on a school night. What an excellent job he did of helping me too.

The goodies are, from left to right and starting with the back row:
coffee cupcakes (another batch!), gingerbread, yoghurt loaf, vanilla cupcakes
and at the front
malteser slice, raspberry cheesecake chocolate brownie x2, rocky road and some after-dinner mints.


Here's a couple of close ups just to make you hungry! : )

 



We were very thankful for the beautiful weather we had.







David had a girl the same age as him to play with... 



...and her little brother had fun with Alasdair.


Once everyone had left we had a family movie night. Normally on a Friday night the boys go to Boy's Brigade but it was off last night, since this is a holiday weekend. We watched RV, one of the boys' and my husband's favourite movies. I'm not sure what is funnier, Robin Williams in the film or watching my husband laugh at the movie. I don't know how many times we've seen this movie and still it cracks him up!

I love the overall message from the film, that the family go from squabbling all the time and doing everything separately to spending time together and actually enjoying one another's company without resorting to computers and other gadgets - my aim in family life! 

2 comments:

  1. I'm so glad the week went well with your husband being gone.

    You are an awesome baker!! That all looks so good. And the whole evening sounds like a lot of fun! We'll have to rent that movie. I bet my husband would like it too. We rented one with Robin Williams in it.. called, Old Dogs. And we laughed so hard at it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad you had a beautiful day for the barbecue. All the food mentioned and the pictures made my mouth water terribly! I loved the pictures :)

    ReplyDelete

I love reading everyone's comments, so thank-you for taking the time to leave them! I try and respond to them here too, so do check back later on.