Thursday 2 September 2010

Recipe of the Week - Spicy Sweet Potato & Coconut Soup

Before I share the recipe I need to let you all know that the oven is fixed - yay!! It was the element, just as I had suspected. Let the cake baking resume!

Moving onto this weeks recipe. I thought since were are coming to the end of summer/start of autumn it would be good to have a nice warming soup recipe. This soup is lovely on a chilly autumn evening or for lunch after a long walk through the crunchy autumn leaves. The spices really warm you up from the inside.

The recipe below is a double quantity. I like to make extra soup to have again in the next couple of days, or to pop in the freezer for an easy lunch after said long autumnal walk searching for conkers. It is easily halved, though, if you wanted to make less.


1 onion, diced
2 cloves of garlic, crushed (or my new best friend in the kitchen - Very Lazy Garlic, 2tsps)
6 medium sized sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped into cubes
1 medium chilli, chopped
2 tsps ground corriander
2 tsps ground cumin
2 tins coconut milk
boiling water
juice of 1 lime
soya cream & chopped corriander to garnish (optional)


- Soften the onion in a little oil for about 5 minutes, then add the garlic.
- After a couple of minutes add the sweet potatoes and chilli.
- Cook for about 5 minutes, stirring often.
- Now add the ground corriander and cumin.
- After a couple more minutes add the coconut milk and as much water as it takes to cover the potatoes.
- Leave it to simmer for about 30 - 40 minutes until the potatoes are really soft. You might need to add more water as it cooks.
- Add the lime juice and then blend until really smooth.
- Garnish with chopped corriander and a swirl of soya (or dairy) cream.
- Serve with warm bread or Hebridean Oatcakes (see next weeks recipe!)


Oh, and before I finish, last night when the man was in fixing the oven, my husband said to him, 'She really needs her oven, she has a blog where she writes up her recipes.' The man looked at me and said, 'You do look kind of familiar.' I told him he wouldn't have seen me anywhere and he said, 'You look like that girl from the cookery programme, the one with the dark hair.' My husband answered, 'Nigella?' and he said, 'that's right, you look just like her!'

I didn't mind paying him for fixing the oven after such a compliment! 

And speaking of Nigella, it's my birthday next weekend and she just happens to have a new book out today. I have already made my birthday request known to my beloved!


3 comments:

  1. Lol, what a lovely comment!

    You have put serious temptation my way suggesting that Nigella book, I had to look it up, I must resist....I must resist!!! Let us know what it's like when you get it :-D
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmm, this soup sounds good!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, that looks so good!
    Thanks for visiting my blog and the comment. Welcome any time!
    Natural Mama

    ReplyDelete

I love reading everyone's comments, so thank-you for taking the time to leave them! I try and respond to them here too, so do check back later on.