Thursday 9 September 2010

Recipe of the Week - Hebridean Oatcakes

As promised last week, this weeks recipe is for the oatcakes to have with your soup. They are kind of 'rustic' in style. Just like my granny would make. Fat and chunky and not too neat around the edges. They crumble and melt in your mouth.

These are also delicious with a thick spread of butter and a chunk of cheese. Or some hot smoked salmon. I also like them with butter and jam but I think this may be considered sacrilege in some parts! :)


8 oz medium oatmeal (I love Alford's Oatmeal)
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp baking powder
1 oz melted butter
about 2-3fl oz boiling water.

- Put all the dry ingredients in a bowl and mix together.
-Add the melted butter and enough of the water to make a stiff dough.
-Sprinkle a little more oatmeal on the work surface and place the dough on here.
-Gently roll into a thick-ish circle, about 1cm or so thick. It is a bit crumbly so don't be too vigorous with it!
-Cut into triangles with a knife and place on a greased baking tray.
- Bake in the oven at 170C for about 20 minutes.
-When they are done, carefully lift them onto a wire rack to cool down.

Apparently Scottish soldiers of old would pack some oatmeal and a plate to cook oatcakes on in their bags. And although, traditionally eaten at breakfast time, oatcakes were also used to make sandwiches instead of bread.

I've forgotten to put my Gaelic word for the day on for a few posts so today it is:
aran-coirce (aran-corck) - oatcake
aran is the Gaelic for bread and coirce is the word for oats



'Let me at them!'

13 comments:

  1. Oh yum!! I love oatcakes, I love them for breakfast (not a great breakfast person), I think I'll have to try these to have them with jam for breakfast :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Let me at them I say! Those oak cakes looks delicious, I am going to have to try them!! Love the Gaelic word for the day. So inspiring, also couldn't help but admire your gorgeous stove and oven. It looks like a modern day range :)

    LOVE
    ~ Marie

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have come back this morning to look at these oatcakes!! And I am imagining them with smoked salmon, I think I could acutally live on oatcakes, for breakfast with jam, with smoked salmon on them for lunch, and with soup for my dinner!!

    Have you ever come across the co-op's smoked salmon for £1, it's great.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Marie, I wish the stove was mine, but the picture was taken at my parent's house. My mum only got the cooker last year but she loves it.

    Maybe one day I'll be able to get one too.

    Dawn, I've not tried the co-op smoked salmon. We have a small co-op near us so I'll need to check for it next time I'm in. I do prefer the hot smoked stuff but it is sooo expensive so only as a little treat!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oooo these look delicious! I love the shape and texture. It doesn't seem to difficult either. I can't wait to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am in the middle of making these just now!! Only I'm stuck, the oatmeal and the water/butter isn't coming together as a dough - should there be something else I'm not putting in?
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hmmm, is it just still quite crumbly? If so I would add some more water until it comes together.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes its crumbly, so just add more water, I've just noticed its coarse oatmeal as well, so maybe that's got something to do with it.
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I added a wee bit of flour until they came together. I guess maybe it's the coarse oatmeal, I'm sure not, I'm clueless, I've never made oatcakes before. Hope I didn't ruin the lovely recipe!! Can't wait to try them though :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Probably was the course oatmeal. The medium oatmeal has a more 'floury' texture so would stick together better.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'll defintitely try again with the right oatmeal next time!!
    The ones I made are now out of the oven, I'm loving the salty flavour, thats right up my street.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I bought Alfords oatmeal while we were on holiday - what a difference!! After asking my mum she said I couldn't make oatcakes with the pinhead oatmeal I had tried to use the first time (there is no flour in it).... so the proper oatcakes are about to go into the oven just now, and I just can't wait to put smoked salmon on them and eat up!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh good, glad you had more success! After your last comments I went and double checked the recipe in case I had missed anything out! They turned out fine again so thought it must just have been your oatmeal.

    Try making porridge with the Alfords oatmeal too. It is delicious, lovely and nutty tasting. If you like porridge that is!

    ReplyDelete

I love reading everyone's comments, so thank-you for taking the time to leave them! I try and respond to them here too, so do check back later on.