Thursday 27 January 2011

Recipe of the Week - Steak Pie

When I started my blog I planned to have a special allergy-free recipe each week as my Recipe of the Week. There are so many recipes out there for 'normal' diets that I wanted to share those that catered for those on a special diet, like my Calum and Alasdair. However, we don't always eat wheat and dairy-free meals and cakes in this house, and I want to share some of these recipes too.

For example, I might be making something that starts off without any allergens and then take a portion out before adding some cream at the end. Or if I am making up a cake which I haven't adapted then I will also rustle up a quick batch of wheat & dairy free cupcakes or flapjacks that are always a hit with the boys.

This week's recipe is the Steak Pie that I made for James' birthday last week. A few folk have since asked for the recipe. I cooked the meat and then took a portion out for Calum & Alasdair before adding the pastry to the top. One of these days I will try and perfect my wheat & dairy free pastry!

You will need to give yourself a couple of hours to cook the meat slowly and also to remember to put the butter in the freezer in advance of making the pastry, but it is not labour intensive at all.




You will need:
1 large onion, sliced
2lb braising steak, cubed
2tbsp cornflour
750ml mixture of red wine and vegetable stock
a couple of sprigs of thyme


for the pastry:
12oz plain flour
1 tbsp English mustard powder
7oz butter, frozen
8-10tbsp cold water
1 egg yolk, beaten (optional)


~Heat a little oil in a pan and soften the onions in it.
~Dust the meat with the cornflour, just slightly, and then add to the pan and cook until browned.
~Add your liquid and thyme, bring to the boil and then either simmer on the hob or transfer to a casserole dish and put in the oven for 2 hours at about 150C. I choose the oven option because then you aren't looking out for a simmering pan and checking it hasn't boiled dry.

~To make the pastry, mix the flour and mustard in a bowl.
~Grate the frozen butter into the bowl and mix all through gently.
~Add enough water to make a dough. You might need more or less than is asked for.
~Wrap the dough in clingfilm and put in the fridge for about half and hour.

~Flour a worksurface and roll the pastry out until it is slightly larger than your pie dish.
~Put the meat mix into the pie dish (removing any for any special little boys) and cover with the pastry. 
~Leaving a slight overhang of pastry on the edges, trim it slightly (although the pastry is so popular in our house that I don't trim it at all. Everyone helps themselves to the crispy extras hanging down!)
~If you want it really golden then brush with the egg yolk.
~Put it back in the oven, now at 200C for another 30 minutes.

~Serve with buttery mash and pureed carrots & parsnips.





1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the recipe, that's great, especially as puff pastry has a reputation for being difficult to make. This looks so delicious!

    ReplyDelete

I love reading everyone's comments, so thank-you for taking the time to leave them! I try and respond to them here too, so do check back later on.