Thursday 9 December 2010

Recipe of the Week - Christmas Biscuits



Although these are Christmas biscuits, we make them throughout the year with different shaped cutters.

My mum got me this set of cutters last year for my birthday. They are sooo fab.

There are 12 different shaped cutters and each cutter has two bits to it. 


These are the Christmassy shaped ones.


The red bit cuts out the basic shape of the biscuit, then you pop off the clear bit and use it to add some detail, like this little teddy below.

Here he is after the basic shape was cut out.




And here he is with the details added.


Moving onto the recipe.

 10oz Doves Farm SR Wheat-Free Flour
4oz dairy-free margarine
4oz brown sugar
1tsp baking powder
2tsp mixed spice
2 eggs, beaten

~Put the flour and margarine into a food processor and blitz until the butter is all blended into the flour and it looks like breadcrumbs.
~Add the sugar, baking powder and spice and blitz again until mixed in.
~While the motor is on, slowy add the eggs until the mixture comes together in a ball. You may not need all of the egg mixture but with wheat-free flour I find that you do. You don't want your mixture to be too crumbly and with wheat-free flour you are best to have it on the sticky side, although not too sticky to roll out!
~Use some more wheat-free four to dust your work surface and roll out the dough until it is about 1 - 2cm thick, depending on how chunky you want your biscuits.
~Cut out the shapes, re-rolling the scraps until the dough is all used up, place on greased baking trays and bake at 180C for 15-20minutes until golden brown.
~Transfer to cooling racks once they are cool enough to touch and then shake over some icing sugar.

3 comments:

  1. It sounds yummy -- AND it looks fantastic! Those cookie cutters are great: so much better than ordinary ones.

    I wish I had a cookie right now... ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmm, sounds good! I like the cookie cutters too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kirsteen your cookies are darling!! I love the detailor!! I may just go and make some cookies right now! I haven't done any of my baking for Christmas yet. You pumped me up with inspiration! Yay!

    ReplyDelete

I love reading everyone's comments, so thank-you for taking the time to leave them! I try and respond to them here too, so do check back later on.