Thursday 5 September 2013

Recipe of the Week - Mint Aero Slice






Time for a return to the Recipe of the Week, I think. I'll need to get back working on my Gaelic word of the day too, which has also fallen by the wayside a little!

Anyway, I was inspired to make this by a lovely minty slice I tried at one of our favourite coffee shops. I'm still not really that big on chocolatey things this pregnancy, which I'm sure you all know is very unlike me, but I tried it out nonetheless. It was a big hit with the two boys who can eat it (as well as with daddy) and so it didn't really last longer than a few days in our house. I'm not sure how long it would last if I was in my usual chocolate loving state!

The recipe is basically the same as my Malteser Slice, only with Mint Aero Balls instead of the Maltesers. After I had made it, my sister in law suggested that she was going to try it out with Orange Aero Balls, which I hadn't thought of, so there's another variation for you if you like chocolate and orange.

For this recipe you will need:

4oz butter
8oz milk chocolate 
3 tbs golden syrup
8oz digestive biscuits, crushed
a couple of bags of mint Aero balls, which is roughly about 8oz (or you could use the same weight of mint Aero bars.) Keep about a handful of the balls separate and crush these to use to decorate the top of your finished slice.
about 8oz milk chocolate to spread on top.

Super easy to make.
~Melt the butter, chocolate and syrup in a pan over a low heat.
~Leave to cool for at least 20-30 minutes. While this stage is not essential, if you want to have some nice chunks of mint Aero in your traybake then you need to make sure the chocolate is cooled enough that it won't melt your Aero. The first time I tried making this I didn't cool the chocolate for long enough and the Aero al melted. The resulting traybake was still delicious, lovely and minty, but I wanted to have those nice green chunks throughout it too.
~Add the digestives and the Aero balls.
~Spread into a traybake tray and allow to harden for a couple of hours.
~Melt the remaining chocolate, spread over the top and then decorate with the crushed Aero.


2 comments:

  1. These sound wonderful. They would be a hit around here to be sure. What is golden syrup? is dark corn syrup? I am also going to have to look up Aero balls, because they are not familiar either; ;my imagination is filling in the gaps nicely.

    Love the new doggie in the previous post. She is lovely. Our "Shorty" is part Jack Russell also. They are very smart and have a lot of personality.
    Blessings,
    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow this looks so delicious, i love mint areo and the boys do...Thanks for sharing....

    Simon

    ReplyDelete

I love reading everyone's comments, so thank-you for taking the time to leave them! I try and respond to them here too, so do check back later on.