Tuesday 21 December 2010

Christmas Food Shopping

I had big plans of getting a batch or two of chutney done today to give out as gifts but just ran out of time!

Where do all those hours go?!

Actually, I don't mind because I did manage to get our big Christmas food shopping done, and a lot of those 'missing' hours were actually spent filling our shopping trolley with lots of Christmas goodies. I'm glad I got it done nice and early too because the shop was surprisingly quiet.

We headed out at lunchtime, although first I had to dig the car out of the snow. I had my little helpers on the job too but it still took nearly half an hour to get the car cleared of snow and then the driveway cleared. 

As a treat, we had lunch at the supermarket first (exciting stuff, hey?). The boys love the Morrisons cafe because you get a fruit bag, juice, little chocolate and puzzle book free with every children's meal. I love the Christmas special - turkey, stuffing, cranberry sauce and gravy on a big soft roll (don't knock it till you've tried it!)

I have been saving my till receipts for the last 5 weeks to qualify for the £25 Christmas voucher. It was so nice putting extra little treats in the trolley, knowing that we had this voucher to cover it. 

We now have enough food in the house to last us through a second Ice Age, and from the look and feel of things outside that isn't too far away :0) The turkey, bacon and chipolatas are being delivered by the butcher tomorrow, and we get our vegetables delivered from a local farm on a Friday.

I was going to share my Christmas day menu today but I think I've said enough tonight. I've still got some more crochet to finish before Saturday too.

Oh, and I got the best early Christmas present at dinner time. A message from my husband that he is coming home tonight! He has to work this evening but will be down in the very early hours of the morning. Hip, hip hip hooray.

4 comments:

  1. Yayy!!! He gets to be home for breakfast tomorrow!

    I loved hearing about your shopping and how you saved some money and were able to buy some extra special treats!

    How wonderful to get your meat from a local butcher and vegetables from a local farm! I think we may be moving to Scotland! I miss that small town feel :)

    The Christmas special at the cafe sounds yummy!

    Merry Christmas friend!

    ~Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely dito what Elizabeth said Kirsteen. I will be moving my family as well!! And I love hearing about the cafe and their children's meal!

    can't wait to hear about the Christmas menu!!

    Much Love
    ~ Marie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay!! So great that your husband is coming home!!

    I was in awe that you got your meat and veggies delivered too! That sounds so lovely. I wouldn't mind moving either.

    I bet your Christmas menu will be delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wonder if the Scottish Tourist Board will pay me for all the pro-Scottish work I have on my blog? :0)

    Wouldn't it be fun if you all did move over and our boys could all play together?!

    You are, of course, all welcome to come for a holiday some time!

    ReplyDelete

I love reading everyone's comments, so thank-you for taking the time to leave them! I try and respond to them here too, so do check back later on.