Thursday 25 November 2010

Recipe of the Week - Cinnamon & Clementine Cake


I think it's time now to start on the festive recipes :0)

 The inspiration for this cake came from one I remembered my mum making when we were younger. It was a Cinnamon cake, only one layer, with no icing in the middle, but it did have the cinnamony sugar on top. 

Last Christmas I wanted to recreate something similar, but I also wanted to add some orange to it too, to keep it moist. Since it was clementine season I tried using them instead and was delighted with the result. One really soft, subtly spiced yummy cake!


For the cake you will need:
6oz dairy free margarine
6oz sugar
6oz Dave's Farm Wheat Free SR Flour
3 eggs
2 clementines
1tsp ground cinnamon

For the icing:
3oz dairy free margarine
8oz icing sugar
1-2tsp clementine juice

For the sugar topping:
2tbsp sugar
1tsp ground cinnamon

~Put the margarine, sugar, flour and eggs into a free standing mixer and beat well until smooth and creamy.
~Add the zest of both clementines, the juice of one of them and the cinnamon then beat again until all incorporated.
~Share between two greased and base lined 7inch sandwich tins and bake at 180C for around 20 minutes, or until nice and golden.
~Transfer to a cooling rack once they are cool enough to handle.
~Meanwhile, beat the icing sugar and margarine together then add about 1-2tsp of clementine juice, from your second clementine. You don't want to add too much or your icing will be too thin.
~In a small bowl mix together the sugar and cinnamon for the topping.
~Once the cakes have cooled, sandwich them together with the icing and shake the golden coloured sugar over the top of the cake.
~Serve with some warm, citrusy tea whilst listening to carols in the candlelight by the fire.
~Alternatively, feed it to your boys at supper time and watch it disappear at an astonishing rate - even the baby's!

Oh, and Happy Thanksgiving to all who are celebrating it!

6 comments:

  1. Oh how wonderful, this sounds soooo delicious, I am so going to make this one, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds really good, Kirsteen! I love cinnamon!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh WOW Kirsteen, this sounds and looks so GOOD! I will have to make it for Christmas this year! I love cinnamon and I also love Clementines!! You are always inspiring me with your baking!! I got a Nigella Christmas book from my mom and I have so enjoyed going through it, it also makes me think of you :)

    LOVE
    ~ Marie

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've just come back for the recipe to make this today, I never realised it was your own invention with the clementines, wow! That's really great. Soooo looking forward to making/eating this cake, maybe I should make two, I don't think it'll last long :o)

    ReplyDelete
  5. It sounds wonderful, and so does the one which is in progress right now and would love to see the recipe for that one also. I am ready to shift in to holiday making and baking soon; love the inspiration. Also, like your little star wars character.
    Many Blessings,
    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh its beautiful and sounds DELICIOUS! I love how you added the orange clementine!


    Thank you for the happy wishes for Thanksgiving! Much love :)

    ~Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete

I love reading everyone's comments, so thank-you for taking the time to leave them! I try and respond to them here too, so do check back later on.