Wednesday 7 July 2010

Welcome to my world!



Well here it is, the first post! I've been wanting to set up a blog for ages but couldn't decide if I should write one about cooking and recipes or crafts or living in a male dominated household. In the end I decided that a day to day blog would cover all these areas.

As well as keeping a record of what's going on in our house, I'm hoping to have a Recipe of the Week and a Craft of the Week. (Depending on the scale of the craft this might mean just an update of how it's progressing rather than a new one each week, but it's good to be ambitious!)

I'm also looking for readers to get in touch with any ideas they might have that are relevant, especially favourite recipes that I can try out and adapt to be wheat and dairy free for my 7 and 1 year olds.

So in order to launch my blog I thought it only fitting to start with a Chocolate Cake as the Recipe of the Week.


Old Fashioned Chocolate Cake
In a bowl mix:
6oz wheat free self raising flour (I've found Doves Farm to be the best)
2 0z cocoa
In a pan mix:
4oz dairy free margarine
4 oz sugar
4 desert spoons golden syrup
and heat gently until melted.
In a jug measure:
1/4 pint soya or rice or oat milk
and beat in 2 eggs.
Now add the egg/milk mix to the melted margarine mix and then add all of this to the flour mix.
Whisk with a balloon whisk until the flour is all mixed in.
Pour into two greased and base lined 7 inch sandwich tins.
Bake for around 20 mins at 180c.
Once cooled sandwich together with butter icing made by beating together:
4 oz dairy free margarine
10oz icing sugar
2 oz cocoa powder.
You can make this by using ordinary self raising flour, margarine and milk but if you do then you only need one egg and not two.


















7 comments:

  1. Lovely looking cake!! I think I'll try this recipe today. Mmmm.. thanks.
    Dawn x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope this is a 'start as you mean to go on'. Start with chocolate. Go on with chocolate. And on, and on... You get my drift?
    We luuuuuv chocolate.
    Good to 'meet' another blogger!
    Love, Anne x

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fantastic way to start, my auntie cannot take wheat, maybe I'll make this for her. xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely looking cake! I think Im gonna have to make it! Nice to meet you :) my name is Elizabeth! I look forward to reading more post from you in the future!

    ~Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  5. I made the cake!!!!

    Very light and so delicious!! Officially my favourite chocolate cake recipe now. And I love the generous quantities of icing in the middle, mmmmm...!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good, so glad you liked the cake. It's my favourite too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So glad to have found this blog my daughter is wheat, dairy and other things free and so nice to find real recipes that I know we'll actually make - going to give this a go in a minute - wish me luck x

    ReplyDelete

I love reading everyone's comments, so thank-you for taking the time to leave them! I try and respond to them here too, so do check back later on.