Wednesday 21 July 2010

Walk through my garden

This photo of our back garden was taken a few days before Christmas. Excuse the funny dimensions, but it was taken from an upstairs window. We had a long, cold winter this year, with six weeks of constant snow in December/January and another two/three weeks of snow in February. (Stick with me, there is a point to this!) I had big plans for that far left corner, which had gone a bit to rack and ruin with pregnancy no.4 and the subsequent summer with a newborn. But the winter seemed to go on and on, and spring was also very cold.


Fast forward now to around April. The weather was warming up and the ground was drying up enough to let me tackle this corner.
'Where do I start????'



Not only did the ground need cleared, but the fence was in dire need of a coat of paint.

Now fast forward again to July and.....

Ta-daaa!

I'm rather proud of my little vegetable patch. Especially when I consider how most of it was done with a rather clingy baby hanging onto me!

 Although I always have pots of salad, herbs and strawberries in the garden, I haven't tried any 'proper' veg before. Now I've got squash and courgettes in the first bed; chard, beetroot and dwarf beans in the second and good old tatties in the far away one. Behind the tatties, in the corner, are my rasps and rhubarb (although I've just used up a lot of rhubarb so you can't see it!)

Here's a close up of the rasps,

Now come for a quick walk around the rest of the edible parts of my garden.

On the patio are various pots (and two little rascals at the door):

To the left of the door are:
Strawberries at the back, bush tomatoes, some overgrown rocket that I need to re-sow and a couple of wee pots of basil.

To the right of the door are:
Some new rocket seedlings, lettuce, tomatoes and flat leaf parsley.

In the cold frame are some more bush tomatoes;

Around the corner, in front of the kitchen window are the taller tomato plants;


Now I need lots of sun to get these little ones to turn red!

I've got a couple of big bags with more tatties and these hanging bags along the fence with more strawberries (these strawberries are proving too much temptation for the pesky squirrels!)

And to finish off tonight's tour, here is my little herb garden, in the corner of he garden closest to the kitchen door.
In here I have lots of mint, chives, sage, oregano, margoram, thyme more flat leaf parsely and basil.

So there we have it! I'm reading 'The Edible Garden' by Alys Fowler just now, which is giving me lots of ideas for next year. Onwards and upwards, I say!

2 comments:

  1. This looks fantastic, Kirsteen. Doesn't the 'bug bite' when you start growing you own. We started a 2-3 years ago, and I love, love, love it!
    Great stuff.
    Love, Anne x

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's so impressive. I love the wee corner you have. I've just grown a few wee things this year for the first time. I have one of these green bags with potatoes as well!! I love the idea of strawberries and raspberries in the garden mmmm! Slugs are my main problem, they seem to be everywhere ick!
    Dawn x

    ReplyDelete

I love reading everyone's comments, so thank-you for taking the time to leave them! I try and respond to them here too, so do check back later on.