Monday 23 July 2012

Make it Monday - 'Grown-up' crochet

A couple of months ago I decided it was time to take my crochet up a step from blankets, hats and scarves.


Last summer my brother's wife had seen a crochet book in a charity shop and bought it for me. It was kind of as a joke though, as the book dated from the early 80s and was full of quite frilly sort of 'granny' crochet!


Anyway, as I thought ahead to the local agricultural show, which took place last week, I thought I should enter something a wee bit fancier and so I looked up the 'granny' book.


I found the perfect doilly in the book, bought some fine crochet cotton, dug out my tiny 1.75mm hook and got started.


Boy was it tricky at first! The cotton was so fine and the hook so small that the loop kept slipping off until I got the hang of it. It was also one of those patterns where each round was different so I had to really concentrate on each one. Not like granny squares where they fly off the hook without you even thinking about them!


Here is my finished doilly at the front of the show table.

The winning doilly is the one with the red rosette on it. It was the same size as mine but with a really frilly border. Second prize went to another similar one, this time with tiny crocheted butterflies round the side. I'll need to up my game even more for next year!


Even though I didn't win anything this year, I'm really pleased with my doilly. I think it will look just perfect under a vase or bowl, and I have more than enough cotton left to work on a few more - whenever I have the time to concentrate that hard again!

 

4 comments:

  1. Your doily is beautiful! I don't make many things w/ that size thread, but I ALWAYS love them!...so very dainty!
    Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, your doily is absolutely beautiful!! I haven't venured to make many things with such tiny thread, but your work is lovely and inspiring!!

    ReplyDelete

I love reading everyone's comments, so thank-you for taking the time to leave them! I try and respond to them here too, so do check back later on.