Monday 6 October 2014

Make it Monday - Camo Cupcakes {Dairy & Gluten Free}





I promised I would share the method for making Calum's birthday Camo Cupcakes and so here we are. 

They are really straightforward to make, not too time consuming at all, but don't tell that to whoever you are baking these for!






For the food colouring it is best to use the pastes rather than the liquids as this won't affect the consistency of your cake mix.


You will need:

{for the cupcakes}
10oz dairy free margarine
10oz Doves Farm Gluten Free Self Raising Flour
10oz sugar
4 eggs
1-2tbsp soya milk
green & black food colouring
a few tablespoons cocoa


{for the icing}
1lb icing sugar
5oz dairy free margarine
a little splash of soya milk
green & black food colouring
a tablespoon of cocoa



~ Put the margarine, flour, sugar and eggs into your mixer and beat well until everything has mixed together and looks creamy. Then add the soya milk and beat a little more.

~Divide the mixture as evenly as you can into three bowls.

~Colour one bowl green, another black and add enough cocoa to the third to get a nice brown colour. 

I must admit to having a slight 'blonde' moment when I was looking out my food colourings to make these. I looked through the colours I had and thought to myself, if only I had brown colouring to make the third colour. Thankfully it didn't take too long to dawn on me that all chocolate cakes have the perfect colour that I needed and without any food colouring!







~Now all you need to do is put a splodge of each colour into your cupcake cases. There is no fancy way of doing this and no need to mix the colours together at all. Just try not to have the colours right on top of each other or you will end up with just layers rather than the swirl of camo.








~Bake at 180C for around 20 minutes. Timing is a little more important for these as normally I would just go by the colour on the top of a cupcake to see if they are ready. Not so easy when the cakes are black on top! James (14) came through when I took them out of the oven and thought that I had burnt them!









~While they cool you can crack on with the icing.


~Put the icing sugar and margarine into your mixer and beat until they come together. You might need to add a splash or two of soya milk to help them come together. Once it looks nice and smooth, again separate into three bowls and colour each one as before.


~Using disposable piping bags, fill three separate bags with each colour. Then take a fourth bag, with a nozzle attached and slot the three different coloured bags into this one. To help with this, try and get your coloured bags nice and thin by squeezing the icing evenly as far to the top as you can, while still leaving squeezing room at the top for when it's time to ice.


~Swirl the triple coloured icing onto your cooled cupcakes.










~Bask in the admiration of the cakes' recipients who now think that you have spent far longer concocting these than you really did and that you are something of a culinary genius!







1 comment:

  1. Perfect cupcake for boys… I know a few boys who would just love these (my own grandsons). Thanks for the instructions. Also, love the Minion slippers in previous post; those are adorable. Happy Birthday to Calum.
    Love and Blessings,
    Pam

    ReplyDelete

I love reading everyone's comments, so thank-you for taking the time to leave them! I try and respond to them here too, so do check back later on.