I think it probably says a lot about me that this is my first savoury Recipe of the Week!
This is a nice and easy mid-week dinner recipe. Not only is it suitable for wheat and dairy allergy sufferers but it is far, far tastier (and healthier!) than any shop-bought chicken goujons/nuggets could ever hope to be.
For this recipe I recommend Genius Gluten Free Bread. After years of poor Calum having to endure the stodgy bread that is available on the market as a Gluten Free option this came out. It could almost pass for 'normal' bread. He can now have sandwiches like everyone else! The previous stuff had to be toasted to render it edible so sandwiches were never an option.
For the goujons you will need:
about 4 slices Genius bread
4 tbps Doves Farm Wheat Free Flour
4 large chicken breasts
- Blitz the bread in a blender or food processor until you have quite fine breadcrumbs and then tip them into a bowl.
- Spoon the flour into a second bowl and then beat the eggs into a third bowl.
- Chop the chicken into chunks or strips.
- I now like to make up a wee production line of bowls in the order you need to use them;
chicken, flour, eggs, breadcrumbs and then an oiled baking tray.
Hmm. I took this photo when I was making this at my parents' recently and now realise that I was working from right to left not left to right. Maybe my OCD isn't as bad as my husband jokes it is! :)
- Now coat each piece of chicken in the flour, then eggs, then breadcrumbs and line on the tray.
-Bake in a pre-heated oven at 180C for about 20 minutes until they are a lovely golden brown.
- Serve with lashings of mayo/tomato sauce and chips or newly dug tatties like we had with it last night. Mmmmm. Yum.
This photo was taken on holiday too. My newly dug potatoes were eaten so quickly last night I didn't get the chance to photograph them!