Friday 5 September 2014

Bake it like Berry - A few summer bakes




Firstly, thank you for all your comments and messages about where you are from. David is delighted to find such a wide range of places coming up. He is even excited to look up where those of you closer to us here are too. I'll post his map with the pins on it next week.

Moving on for now though.

Bake it like Berry took another bit of a backseat over the summer. That's not to say that there wasn't any baking from the Baking Bible going on, just not many new recipes.


Starting with the most recent bakes, here are the latest new recipes from the book that I have tried out.





Banana & Chocolate Chip Oat Slice.

This is the first time I've been less than happy with a Mary Berry recipe. I know, I can hardly believe I just said that! The recipe asks you to rub the margarine into the flour until it resembles breadcrumbs but the ratio of margarine to flour is such that there is no way that it will ever resemble breadcrumbs. More like a dough texture! Perhaps it was a typo though, and with an extra 3 oz of flour it looked more like it should.

I adapted this to make it dairy & wheat free, and Calum loves it. Next time I might actually put the choc chips in the middle layer with the banana though, as they tend to fall off the top.











Traditional Apple Pie

I made this a couple of weeks ago with our freshly picked apples. Normally when I make apple pie I have a pastry layer at the bottom but in this recipe there is only pastry on the top. that's one way of avoiding a soggy bottom I suppose! The next recipe in the book after this one is for a slightly different apple pie, and that one does use a pastry base.











Chocolate Crispie Cakes

These are in the chapter for baking with children and so Alasdair (5) tried them out. After I had melted his dairy free chocolate for him, and helped him weigh out the ingredients he managed to make the rest by himself. He was rather pleased with the results!










Lemon Drizzle Traybake

There are a few different Lemon cake recipes in the Baking Bible and so far each one I have tried has been equally good! 







Malt Fruit Loaf

This was the first time I had made a cake using malt extract. It made a slightly sticky cake that was full of flavour. David (8) really loved this cake and has been asking when I will be making it again!





No comments:

Post a Comment

I love reading everyone's comments, so thank-you for taking the time to leave them! I try and respond to them here too, so do check back later on.