Thursday 19 June 2014

Recipe of the Week - Marshmallow Truffles {Dairy Free, Wheat Free, Egg Free}

 
 
 
You know how certain smells, songs or tastes can instantly transport you to a place or time in your past?
 
Like the day I was walking along behind a lady and the scent of her perfume took me back to our wedding day and those early days of our married life, as it was the same perfume that my husband bought me for a wedding present. Tommy Hilfiger's Tommy Girl.
 
Well, whenever I eat one of these truffles it reminds me of the days when I was about 14 years old and my friends and I used to go to a girls club every Thursday. It was run by some ladies at one of the churches near us and we used to love going along. There must have been about 30 of us in total and those ladies must have had the patience of saints! We used to do all sorts of activities at the club and one night we baked these truffles. I just can't eat one of them without the taste reminding me of those days and those lovely ladies.
 
When I began my allergy free cooking journey this was a nice easy one to convert.
 
You will need:
About 8 marshmallows
3oz dairy free margarine
2 oz drinking chocolate (make sure it's dairy free), or cocoa if you like things really chocolatey
3oz desiccated coconut
3oz sugar
5oz rolled oats (not oatmeal)
4tbsp rice milk
Extra coconut or drinking chocolate to roll the balls in.
 
 
- Begin by cutting your marshmallows in half. The easiest way to do this is by dipping a pair of scissors into a cup of boiling water. The marshmallows will then not stick to the hot scissors. Dip the scissors into the water after cutting each marshmallow.
 
 
 
- Melt the margarine.
 
- Stir the drinking chocolate, sugar, coconut and oats together in a bowl.
 
 
- Pour the melted margarine onto the dry ingredients and then add the rice milk.
 
- Mix everything together until well mixed and sticky.
 
- Take about a big spoonful of the mixture and flatten it in the palm of your hand. Place one of the marshmallow halves on top of this and then using both hands squish the mix right round the marshmallow to make a ball. You will need to squeeze the mixture together tightly so that it holds it's shape.
 
 
 
- Roll each ball in either some extra drinking chocolate or some coconut.
 

 

 

You don't need to worry about the marshmallow being exactly in the middle, as long as it's all covered up by the truffle mix.

 

I like to think that with such a large proportion of oats in these they are pretty healthy!

 

1 comment:

  1. These look delicious; I think my little grandsons would just love these.

    ReplyDelete

I love reading everyone's comments, so thank-you for taking the time to leave them! I try and respond to them here too, so do check back later on.