Thursday 8 November 2012

Recipe of the week - Jam Rolly-Polly {gluten & dairy free}

This is one of our Calum's most requested cakes.

I make it with just jam as a filling or with jam and buttercream icing too. If you aren't concerned about allergies you could also try filling it with fresh whipped cream & berries.

Another variation I make is to turn it into a chocolate log. We always have one of these as one of our Christmas Dinner puddings. To turn it into a chocolate log just add a couple of ounces of cocoa to the mixture and fill it with chocolate buttercream icing instead. I also cover it with chocolate buttercream on the outside too and mark it with a fork to look like a log. It wouldn't be Christmas without a chocolate log!

If you want to make this with 'normal' ingredients it will work fine too, just use plain flour rather than self raising. The reason I use self raising in my gluten free version is simply because I prefer the texture it gives over the gluten free plain flour. The plain flour gives a much drier texture, making this too hard to roll.

With wheat flour though you won't have to worry about this, and making it with self raising flour will make too fat a cake, again trickier to roll.


You will need:

4 eggs 4oz sugar 4oz Doves Farm Gluten Free Self Raising Flour

1tsp vanilla essence

Some extra sugar for sprinkling

Your choice of jam for filling



~Using the whisk attachment on your free standing mixer, beat the eggs and sugar together well until they look really light and creamy.

~While this is mixing you can prepare your Swiss roll tray. Grease it lightly and line with baking parchment/grease proof paper.
~When your eggs and sugar are ready gently fold in the flour and vanilla. Try not to mix it too much or you will flatten the lovely air bubbles you have just beaten in.
~Bake at 200C for about 12-15 minutes only. It is important not to overbake. If you do the cake will be too dry and rolling it won't be so successful!
~The cake is ready when it is lightly golden.
~While the cake is baking, prepare a sheet of baking parchment/grease proof paper slightly larger than the baking tray. Sprinkle it all over with your extra sugar.
~When you take the cake out of the oven, carefully but quickly tip it upside down onto the prepared parchment and sugar. Peel off the baking parchment that was on your cake in the oven.
~Now cover with a clean, damp tea towel and leave to cool down.


~When your cake has cooled, spread your chosen filling all over the cake. Then, starting at one of the short sides, roll up the cake. You can use the baking parchment to help you push and roll.
~Transfer to your serving plate and add more sugar on top if you wish.



Don't worry if it cracks a little on top. It adds to the charm and proves that it's home made!

 

3 comments:

  1. Oh Thanks, this is beautiful. I love how you call it a "Rolly, Polly". I believe we call them a "Jelly Roll" or "Log Cake" I have a friend who makes "Pumpkin Rolls" every year and sells them during the holidays. I have made one of these only once, and it was a long time ago. I don't remember it much; but I have enjoyed these kinds of cakes on several occasions when made by others. I think it would be wonderful for Christmas as you say, and maybe I will try it this year. Its great you have all the step by step instructions, because I remember it being a little tricky.

    Love and Blessings,
    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Kirsteen!!!!! It looks perfect!!! I really really want to try one of these now! I love the pictures and your steps along the way. Your cake looks perfectly moist and yet still fluffy. Maybe I'll convince Marie to try it for me :) I am excited to see what else you make for your recipe of the week ;P You always thrill me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Elizabeth and Mom wrote all my exclamations for this amazing cake already! I just want to look at this cake and eat it off of the screen. Mmm Mmm If it wasn't too late I would make it now!!

    Love the recipe too!!

    Love
    ~ Marie

    ReplyDelete

I love reading everyone's comments, so thank-you for taking the time to leave them! I try and respond to them here too, so do check back later on.