Wednesday 25 August 2010

Kitchen Questions & Answers

One of my friends had the following kitchen questions on her blog yesterday. I thought it would be fun to join in, after all the kitchen is the heart of the home!

1. Do you have magnets on your fridge?

No. We have integrated kitchen appliances so the door of the fridge-freezer is wooden like the cupboards.


2. Do you have a calendar in your kitchen, if so, what’s the theme of it?

Yes. A family organiser one, with a column for each member of the family. It's also got a pocket for each month which I find useful for putting letters relating to appointments and so on in.


3. What is your favorite kitchen gadget?

I LOVE my Kenwood mixer. It's a Kenwood Prospero, a size down from the Chef, and I probably use it every single day. It has blender, food processor and juicer attachments, as well as the K-beater, whisk and dough hook. I only treated myself (ourselves!) to it last summer. It was a reasonably big investment but worth every penny!


4. Are you lucky enough to have a pantry of some kind?

No. But perhaps one day....




5.What is your favorite appliance?

I'm assuming appliance means big things, if not see Q3, but if it does then probably my washing machine/dryer. I think we take these a bit for granted. I can survive without my dishwasher (it's been broken for the last couple of months) but I couldn't get by handwashing our clothes!

6. Do you have an eat in kitchen (table in it)?

Yes, kind of. The dining room is through an archway in the kitchen.

7. Do you have a bread box?

Yes.


8. Do you have a picture of your kids on the fridge?

No, see Q1.


9. Do you ever cook breakfast in your jammies?

No. I actually hate coming downstairs in the morning without being dressed first! I'm not sure why. I just feel kind of lazy if I do!


10. Do you have a favorite cookbook that you use?

I have a shelf full! I love all my Nigella books, I've been a long time fan of hers. In the last year or so I've also discovered Rachel Allen and I have to say I love her just as much (sorry Nigella!). Her books Bake and Home Cooking are excellent. I have a couple of books the church compiled which I use a lot for baking recipes too.

11. Are you lucky enough to have recipes that were passed down from your mom or grandma?

I use a lot of my mum's recipes. I wish I had some of my granny's. She made wonderful scones, apple pie, dumplings and doughballs. They were never written down recipes though.

12. What’s your favorite food?

This is tricky one. I love most foods. I'm definitely a pudding/cake girl though, not a savoury one.

13. What’s your favorite thing to cook?

I love ALL cooking.


14. Is your coffee pot electric or stove top?

We have both. Mostly the electric one gets used. The stove top is only for making espressos after a big dinner. I don't drink coffee but my husband loves it. I'm a tea girl.


15. Do you ever make your own bread?

All the time, but in my bread-maker.

16. Name one thing that you have hanging on your wall in your kitchen:

Photos of my boys by the table.

17. Is there a clock in your kitchen?

Yes


18. Do you have a bowl of fruit sitting on your table or counter?

Yes


19. What type of canisters do you have?

Retro cream metal ones.


20. Does your kitchen have a theme?

The cupboards are all oak, the worktops marble effect, the tiles cream, the floor slate effect tiles.

21. What’s for supper tonight?

We already had it - homemade chicken goujons with homegrown tatties (yes the first ones, we tested them tonight!)

22. Do you have enough cabinet space?

No, not really. I'd love to have more but we get by. I am able to get everything squished in somehow.

23. Does your family use paper plates?

No


24. Do you have a good set of china?

I have a Denby dinner service. One day (when I get my extra cupboard space!) I'd love some old-fashioned china.


25. Do you wear an apron to work in your kitchen?

Yes, if I am baking. Not usually to make dinner though.


26. Name one thing, if anything, that you would like to change about your kitchen.

I love my kitchen. We had all the units and appliances re-done about 3 years ago. It's not the biggest kitchen but it's my little place and that's why I love it.


You can see my friends answers at No Place Like Home.

Oh, and a suitable Gaelic word of the day would be:
cidsin - kitchen
Same pronounciation as the English.
There is no 'K' in the Gaelic alphabet. (or J, Q, V, W, X, Y, Z!)

2 comments:

  1. Thanks! Thats fun to read!
    I think we have the same calendar, I got ours from Lakeland.

    I have the Kenwood mixer, I completely forgot (how on earth?!) about it while I was doing the questions!! But that really is my favorite, though trying not to be jealous of your fancier one ;o)

    thanks for sharing xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a fun questionnaire. Hope that you have a wonderful rest of the week!

    ReplyDelete

I love reading everyone's comments, so thank-you for taking the time to leave them! I try and respond to them here too, so do check back later on.